Tragic News – You Need to Replace Your Dishwasher
Whether you are remodeling or have a worn out, non-repairable appliance, sometimes you just have to make the decision to replace an appliance. If it is your dishwasher, you will find out that there is a broad range of prices, models and features. So, how do you decide? Here are some of my thoughts on things to look for when replacing one of the most used items in your house.
- Decide on your price range – Pricing can vary from relatively inexpensive (a few hundred dollars) to over $700. What you need to do is decide on a price range that you’d like to stay within. Don’t assume that the highest price dishwasher will fit all of your requirements. You may find that a moderately priced machine is perfect for you.
- List your needs – Do you run your dishwasher full of pots and pans. Is it only used every other day? Do you need racks that can be adjusted? Just a couple of things to keep in mind. Plan before you start looking.
- Decide on color – This is important if you are matching other appliances. A stove that is ecru may not exactly match the newest version. Some appliance stores will only carry the newest colors, so before you start shopping, I’d recommend searching on the Internet. You can see what retailers have available in store or online before even getting in the car.
- Measure your space – All appliances are not the same dimensions. If you have recently put in new flooring check to see if it went underneath the current dishwasher. Remember you have a countertop to contend with as well as floor levels. Installation can be more difficult if there is a variance.
- Look for energy efficiency – This can lower your water and energy use. While it may not seem like a lot of savings initially, it adds up over the lifespan of the appliance.
- Check the racks – Standard racks are covered in vinyl and will start to rust after several years. Replacement racks are available, but costly. A nylon covered rack is more durable and often worth the investment.
- Decide on how quiet you need your dishwasher – Quietness can vary widely among different models. If your kitchen is always a busy place, you may want to double check the noise level of various models.
- Check out the control panel – Do you need all of the bells and whistles available on high-end models, or will a more standard version work just as well. Make sure that you play with the controls in the store.
Buying a dishwasher usually is not considered an urgent purchase. After all, you can always wash dishes the old fashioned way, so take your time and do some research.