Cleaning Your Dryer-Here are 6 Tips to Help
Cleaning your dryer is probably not on your list of important things to do, however, it is important that you keep your dryer free of dirt, lint and dust. A dryer that gets cleaned periodically will perform more efficiently.
You will need to have a few tools handy in order to complete the job. Round up your vacuum with a hose, a damp cloth and a dry cloth.
- Clean off the top of your dryer – take a damp cloth and wipe it down, top and sides. Dust and lint can accumulate over even a short time this is an important first step.
- Clean out your lint trap – use the damp cloth to wipe around the area where the lint trap is placed. Put the lint trap off to the side.
- Vacuum – Take your vacuum hose and go into the lint trap area and vacuum the area. Many fires happen from this area not being cleaned, so don’t skip this step.
- Wash your lint trap in warm soapy water – make sure it is dry before replacing it in the dryer.
- Vacuum again – If you are able, you can lift the top or front (depending on the type of dryer) up and vacuum around the drum.
- Wipe the inside of the drum – You may think that this area only contains clean clothes, but wiping it down will clear out any residue from lint, softeners, and oils from dryer sheets.
You’ve got the dryer done, so how about the dryer vent. If you are able, the dryer venting should be cleaned on a regular basis. The vent should be removed from the dryer, and vacuumed and brushed free of lint. This is important to do throughout the venting in order to prevent fires.
Many people leave this to the professionals to handle since moving appliances, detaching vents, cleaning and reattaching them is something that a pro can do fast and efficiently.
Cleaning your dryer only takes a short time. The repercussions of not cleaning it are a higher chance of a fire and a less efficient dryer. So, take the time to clean your dryer and the dryer vents.