As someone who deals with repairing appliances, even I have to tell people that sometimes they will be better off to simply buy a replacement. Like most of us, I want to get the best deal for my money. Just like buying a car, there are certain times that you can receive the best deal on appliances.
It’s always best to be prepared for your purchase, after all, this is a major appliance, so if you have time do the following:
- Ask friends if they are happy with the brand they bought. What you will find out is everything that they don’t
- List what you want in the appliance. If your primary need is to match the colors in your kitchen, you may be eliminating a lot of styles right off the bat. If you have young children, you may not want your oven knobs in the front of the stove. Keep in mind what you need.
- Measure, measure, measure-know the sizes of the area that you are going to put the appliance in. There is not a standard size for many appliances. For instance, many new refrigerators are higher and wider than older styles.
- Get on the Internet and look at what’s available. This way you have an idea of prices, styles and what the appliance can do.
Now that you have the basic information out of the way, it’s time to go shopping, right? Almost. There are certain times that it is better to shop for appliances. After all, this is a major investment and you want the most for your dollar.
The best times to shop are:
- Early fall (September/October) and January – Like cars, retailers want to get rid of last year’s models before the new items come into the store.
- End of the month – Quotas may need to be met, or stock may be heavier in the store. There may be some room to negotiate. Best thing to say “Is this the best price that you can give me?” Remember, this works best with independent store owners rather than chains.
- Major holidays – retailers want you in their stores.
Remember, it’s more difficult to return major appliances. Prepare for your purchase ahead of time and you will enjoy it more.